Monday, June 8, 2015

A MARTIN location REVEALED!


For many years, fans of MARTIN have come to Braddock, PA in search of the film locations from the movie. Some are hard to find because of changes in the last 40 years, but others are easy to find.

Fans found a footbridge in town and have always thought that it is the one that you see Martin walk over when he goes to deliver meat.


Many people have been there and taken pictures on it. As you will see though, I visited the area for the first time in 2013, but I immediately noticed that things were off when I looked at the still frames I had from the movie.


Nothing matched what you see in the movie. The bridge looked a different shape.


The surrounding neighborhood houses that led up to the bridge were different.


The background view that you see behind Martin was different from what you see on the bridge that is in Braddock.


When I looked at everything I realized that it was the wrong bridge. Sure things could have changed, but could every house and every view have been changed? I don't think so. I think all the fans in the past that had come to Braddock were on the wrong bridge. Before I had come to Braddock, I had done my research to find all these locations and from looking at Google's satellite views and maps, I could find no other footbridge in Braddock, nor a similar footbridge anywhere in the area. After I realized this, I left and went to other locations and I figured that I would look into it later. That night I decided to look around the internet for more info on the footbridge in Braddock. I looked around but did not find much new, but then I stumbled on a website about Pittsburgh Bridges. This website actually listed all the bridges that had ever been built in the Pittsburgh area, even ones that had been removed. Then I hit the jackpot, I found out that there used to be another footbridge in Braddock and that it was only two blocks away from the site of the bridge that is still existing in Braddock. The bridge was removed at some point because it was falling apart and dangerous. So I decided that I would visit that spot to see if that was the bridge location that you see in the movie. I was not able to get there until several days later when it was almost nightfall. But, when I got there, I knew immediately that I had the right place.

I saw that there were ruins in the brush from the original bridge and then I started to match things up. Houses to the right of the bridge matched the shots in the movie.


Then to the left of the bridge was a wall that had surrounded a building, it was still there, although the building was removed and a parking lot was built there.



Then I looked up and saw that the telephone poles that you see next to the bridge in the movie were still there in the exact same positions.


It was so cool to find the actual location of the bridge that you see Martin cross in the movie even though the bridge was long gone. The mystery of the bridge was solved. Now every MARTIN fan can visit the real bridge location that you see in the movie. I wanted to return during the day to get some daylight shots, but I was not able to return until a year and a half later.



I hope you enjoyed this adventure. I did. Happy location hunting my friends.


1 comment:

  1. Hi,thanks for this location , few people would have found it. wonder when the bridge was torn down. There is on location from Martin i would love to know and i don;t think its ever been found, its not on any locations site. Im looking for the home of Abby Santini (elyane nadeau) . I know its on a hill as Martin walks up there. if Anyone knows id be grateful thanks !.

    ReplyDelete